Wednesday, December 16, 2015

#Review - Hot Toy by Jennifer Crusie #christmasnovellas

Hot Toy by Jennifer Crusie
St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: October 13, 2015
Date Read: December 12, 2015


Previously published in the anthology Santa, Baby, HOT TOY is now available as a standalone e-story for the first time!

Mayhem ensues under the mistletoe as a determined shopper grabs the very last hot toy action figure off the shelf, only to find herself plunged into the middle of a real-life spy game and in the arms of a sexy secret agent...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | BAM!



I really enjoy Jennifer Crusie's writing so when I saw that I had the chance to review this story, I didn't even think twice about it. Of course, I would love it. I always love Jennifer Crusie's work.  But then a strange thing happened while I was reading it, I found that I didn't really care for it. It actually made my head hurt a little to read it. I even stopped to check that I was really reading a Jennifer Crusie story a couple of times while I was reading this story just to be sure.  I have to admit that this story was kind of meh for me.

I expected this to be a romantic story but I didn't find a lot of romance in this one at all. It is Christmas Eve and Trudy is determined to find this year's hot toy for her nephew. When she finds the shelf where the toy should be bare, she doesn't give up like most people would do.  She proceeds to tear the store apart looking for a misplaced toy all while being shadowed by Nolan, a man she dated a few times until he stopped calling. One thing leads to another and Trudy finds herself on a wacky adventure with Nolan and Reese but will she be able to find the toy she is looking for?

This story was a bit too wacky for my tastes. I don't usually mind it when a story is far fetched but this one was just over the top silly in a way that wasn't very entertaining. Much of the story was simply chaotic with Trudy talking to people in the store while she talks on the phone with her sister. I don't know how she kept anything straight because I sure couldn't. Trudy drove me a little nuts. She waits until Christmas Eve to buy the year's big toy and then proceeds to tear the store apart looking for one when she doesn't quickly find it. I didn't find it funny at all and I kind of wanted to smack her while she was doing it. The whole spy thing was just over the top crazy.

This is not a new story. It was previously released as part of the anthology, Santa Baby. I honestly cannot recommend this one. I didn't find it romantic or funny. I still plan to continue reading Jennifer Crusie's work since I usually really enjoy her brand of romantic comedy. This one was a miss for me.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.
About the Author

Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

10 comments:

  1. Oh boy. The cover is really cute, and it looks like something I would read. RomComs are tricky, and the reader has to like the characters for it to work. By your review, I'd probably have thrown my Kindle across the room. Sorry this one didn't do it for you. But, you won't let one bad read stop you from reading this author's books, so that's a plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love most of the books that I have read from this author so I was very disappointed that this one didn't work for me. I found it to be very chaotic instead of funny. I am sure that some readers will really enjoy it though.

      Delete
  2. Aw, that's too bad. It sounds like it had the potential to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet that some readers will think that it is just that. This book just did not work for me.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm...sorry you didn't enjoy this. While I've never read anything by this author, I have heard that her writing is great. The premise does seem a tad crazy but at the same time interesting. Maybe I'll pick it up anyway. Thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do usually enjoy her books quite a bit. I haven't read them all but the few that I have read have been a lot of fun. It is not unusual for me to decide to read a book from a not so positive review. Some of the same things that made this book not work for me may be exactly what works for you. I hope that you enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. Ah, too bad, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it like you expected to, but I'm also glad to discover that author that I'd never heard about, I'll look up her books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you do get a chance to read some of her books. I just loved Bet Me and Anyone but You.

      Delete
  5. Oh that stinks this didn't really work. It sounded cute and that cover totally would have sucked me in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is completely adorable! The story was just a bit too chaotic for my tastes.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...