Tuesday, December 8, 2015

#Review - Every Little Thing by Payton Cosell Turner @BlogForBooks

Every Little Thing by Payton Cosell Turner
Potter Style
Publication Date: November 3, 2015
Enter a magical world filled with your favorite little things.

Wander through a 1980’s-inflected dreamscape of stuffed animals and boom boxes, dance along with a joyful parade of woodland creatures--each page of this coloring book invites you to explore a different kaleidoscope-like universe of pattern, shape and image. From the mind of Payton Cosell Turner—the creative force behind the celebrated wallpaper studio Flat Vernacular—comes this all-ages ode to the wondrous objects that make life beautiful. The coloring journey you take through these exquisite hand-drawn pages will inspire and delight.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her


I am completely disappointed with this coloring book.  I grabbed my first coloring book designed for adults just a couple of weeks ago and promptly fell in love with it.  When I saw that I had the opportunity to review another one, I jumped at the chance.  I am very glad that this was not the first one that I had a chance to really see up close because I would have probably never picked up another one of these books again if this is what I thought they all looked like.

I loved the description of the book.  I loved the 80's and really looked forward to seeing some really fun items from my past worked into the artwork.  I did see a few toys that I remember from my childhood including a Popple, Monchichi, Care Bear, and Rubik's Cube but these items were not in the book often at all and when they were it was in a way that didn't make any sense to me.

I would say that the primary focus of this book was really animals.  I love animals so that is not a problem.  The problem was that these animals were poorly drawn.  I seriously HATED the artwork.  I could draw some of these animals better than what is shown in this book.  I may have missed my calling.

In addition to disliking the artwork, I found that the grouping of the designs to be strange.  The randomness of the items sharing a page really didn't work.  I expected a kaleidoscope of pattern but it is really just a collection of unrelated items thrown on a page.  I also found that there was a lot of unused space in the book which I didn't like.

The book is made of thick quality pages complete with a dust jacket.  Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this coloring book to anyone.  I think that there are a lot of better options currently available on the market. 

I received a copy of this book from Blogging for Books for the purpose of providing an honest review.
About the Author

FLAT VERNACULAR is a Brooklyn-based design company that specializes in original hand-drawn, hand-printed, and one-of-a-kind wallpapers. Founded by Payton Cosell Turner and Brian Kaspr in 2010, Flat Vernacular has been featured in the New York Times, Refinery 29, Design Sponge, and Swiss Miss, and many others.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I can see what you mean, I would have been disappointed too ! Fortunately, near my mother's house, there's this wonderful art shop that sells plenty of beautiful coloring books. Since my daughter won't give me back the one I bought last month, I'll buy myself another ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coloring books are great but the artwork is really important. If it doesn't appeal to your tastes, it isn't a lot of fun. My daughter loves these coloring books as well but she didn't like this one at all. We actually had a good laugh over it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...