Wednesday, November 25, 2015

#Review - Sweep in Peace by Ilona Andrews

Sweep in Peace by Ilona Andrews
Series: Innkeeper Chronicles #2
Publication Date:  November 13, 2015
Date Read: November 15, 2015

Dina DeMille doesn’t run your typical Bed and Breakfast. Her inn defies laws of physics, her fluffy dog is secretly a monster, and the only paying guest is a former Galactic tyrant with a price on her head. But the inn needs guests to thrive, and guests have been scarce, so when an Arbitrator shows up at Dina's door and asks her to host a peace summit between three warring species, she jumps on the chance.

Unfortunately, for Dina, keeping the peace between Space Vampires, the Hope-Crushing Horde, and the devious Merchants of Baha-char is much easier said than done. On top of keeping her guests from murdering each other, she must find a chef, remodel the inn...and risk everything, even her life, to save the man she might fall in love with. But then it's all in the day's work for an Innkeeper…

  Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | BAM!




I absolutely love Ilona Andrews.  I have pre-ordered exactly three books this year and guess who wrote two of them?  Ilona Andrews.  When I know that a new Ilona Andrews book is coming out, I actually plan my reading time so that I will be able to finish whatever it is that I am reading the day before the book comes out.  I only get two weeks of vacation time each year and I have seriously debated using a day just to stay home and read their books on the release day.  So you can imagine how sad it makes me to only give three stars to this book.  Three stars is a good rating and I think that this is a good book.  It just wasn't knock my socks off good that I have come to expect from this writing pair.

I decided to wait for the complete book instead of reading the pieces as they were released on their website.  Which by the way...how awesome is it that they do that?  At least I think it is pretty awesome.  The fact that they are giving their work away to their readers just cements my love for this writing pair.  They are just an incredible pair of authors.

I loved Clean Sweep and consumed that book in less than a day.  I even listened to the audiobook recently as a refresher so that I would be fully prepared for Sweep in Peace (not to mention that I just like the story - a lot).  As soon as I had a chance to sit down and read on the release day, I dug right in to the story and noticed a few things that were different.  I missed Sean.  I missed Sean a lot.  The dialog and interaction between Dina and Sean was really the best part of Clean Sweep.  Sean's absence in this book really left a hole for me.  The fact that no other character in this book was as strong of a character really made a huge difference.  I really missed the dialog with Dina.  I remember laughing at the things that Sean, Dina, and Arland said to each other in the first book.  I didn't find the humor that I was looking for in this one.  It actually took me several days to finish this book because I was able to put it down which is a new experience for me in regards to an Ilona Andrews book. 

This book felt really dark to me.  Dina was much more serious in this one and it seemed that she was holding everything on her shoulders.  I have only read the first book in the Edge series so I am not as familiar with George and Jack as other readers may be.  This future for them still makes me a little sad.  I didn't like them.  All of the sides that are meeting at the peace treaty really seem to have lost a lot and still are finding peace difficult.  In so many way, many of the characters were at their limit and many were at their breaking point.

I did really enjoy seeing more of what Gertrude Hunt can do.  The sky is the limit when it comes to this old inn.  I was just amazed at how imaginative some of the features this house displays in this book.  I really think that we have only seen the beginning of Gertrude Hunts abilities.  As more guests stay at the inn over time, it will be exciting to see what develops as the series continues.  I also really liked the new chef, Orro.  Orro did add a touch of humor to the story but I think that this is a character that I will like more and more as the series progresses.  Caldenia was awesome as always.

I would recommend this series to others.  Everyone should read Ilona Andrews.  I seriously believe that.  The writing is solid and the story is unique and interesting.  I can't wait to see what is going to happen to Dina next. 

  Innkeeper Chronicles
Book #1: Clean Sweep - My Review
Book #2: Sweep in Peace
About the Author

Ilona Andrews” is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade. (Gordon is still sore about that.)

Gordon and Ilona currently reside in Texas with their two children and many dogs and cats.

They have co-authored two NYT and USAT bestselling series, the urban fantasy of Kate Daniels and romantic urban fantasy of The Edge and working on the next volumes for both.


Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't even come across these books until a few weeks ago. As I'm trying to fit in time to read their Kate Daniels series, I think I'll have to wait and see if this series gets better with the next book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ilona Andrews is fantastic! You haven't read Kate Daniels?!?! You must try to read that series as soon as you get a chance. It is fabulous. I really loved the first book in this series and I liked this one just not as much. The books in this series are only about 200 pages and fit in nicely between other longer books. Thanks, Lekeisha!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...