Monday, November 2, 2015

#Review - The Last Good Place by Robin Burcell @RobinBurcell

The Last Good Place by Robin Burcell
Brash Books
Publication Date: November 3, 2015
Date Read:  October 31, 2015

Robin Burcell has worked as a cop, hostage negotiator, and as an FBI-trained, forensic artist . She’s also the author of award-winning thrillers. Now she uses that unparalleled experience to continue Carolyn Weston’s groundbreaking series of books, which were the basis for the hit TV show "The Streets of San Francisco."

Sgt. Al Krug and his younger, college-educated partner Casey Kellog are investigating a string of strangulation killings when another victim is found at the Presidio…but a surprising, violent incident at the crime scene makes them wonder if everything is what it seems. The two miss-matched cops, with sharply conflicting approaches to detective work, are under intense pressure to get results. It’s a race-against-the-clock investigation that propels them into the deadly intersection of politics, real estate, media and vice… the fertile, fog-shrouded killing field of a ruthless murderer.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her


Wow!  I really enjoyed reading this book.  I haven't seen a single episode of the TV show that I remember and I never picked up any of the original books in the series so this was all new for me.  I enjoyed every page of it.  I don't read police procedurals very often but every once in a while this kind of book is the perfect choice.  This book hooked me right away and I had a very hard time putting it down.  I actually ended up reading the entire novel in a single day which is really unusual for me right now. 

I was impressed by the complexity of the cases in this story.  This was a deeply layered story that kept me guessing almost until the very end of the book.  The fact that I couldn't figure out the mystery was a huge plus for me.  All the pieces to the mystery were there but I just couldn't see how everything would eventually fit together.  The story read with the same level of excitement that you would expect in a police drama.

I didn't fall in love with any of the characters but they all felt very real to me.  Every single character in this story felt authentic which is pretty amazing.  All of the characters were somewhat flawed and there were a few individuals that I found to be hard to figure out which added to the appeal for me.  The detectives in this story were regular people just trying to piece everything together to stop a criminal and solve a mystery. 

The writing in this book was very well done.  I thought the pacing of the story was excellent with the story progressing at a great pace.  I never felt like the story was rushed and there was never any part of the book that seemed too slow.  Every scene in the book helped to build the story and the characters. 

I would highly recommend this book to fans of police procedural novels.  This is the first book by Robin Burcell that I have had a chance to read but I do plan to look for some of her other work in the future. 

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Brash Books via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

About the Author

Robin Burcell is an FBI-trained forensic artist who has worked in law enforcement for over two decades as a police officer, detective, and hostage negotiator. A two-time Anthony Award winner, she is the author of four Sydney Fitzpatrick novels—The Black List, The Dark Hour, The Bone Chamber, and Face of a Killer—as well as four novels featuring SFPD homicide detective Kate Gillespie: Every Move She Makes, Fatal Truth, Deadly Legacy, and Cold Case.


Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...