Wednesday, November 18, 2015

#Review - Dead in Her Tracks by Kendra Elliot @KendraElliot @AmazonPub #montlake

Dead in Her Tracks by Kendra Elliot
Series: Rogue Winter #2
Montlake Romance
Publication Date: November 17, 2015
Date Read: November 16, 2015 

On Christmas morning, Solitude, Oregon, unwraps murder…

This wasn’t how Police Chief Zane Duncan expected to spend his first Christmas with fellow officer and girlfriend Stevie Taylor. But when a local motel calls in the discovery of a dead body, the couple’s holiday takes a grim turn. This is the second murder in Solitude within the week, despite the fact that their primary suspect is already in custody. Together, Zane and Stevie must face a disturbing truth—their small town may be harboring two killers.

As their investigation digs deep into the backgrounds of newcomers and longtime residents alike, Zane and Stevie also struggle to adjust to life under the same roof. Even if the stress of homicides and cohabitation don’t bring an end to the couple, the murderer lying in wait just might.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her


Once I started reading this novella, I didn't want to put it down until I had finished.  The great thing is that it really easy to do exactly that since this is a pretty short piece at only approximately 100 pages or so.  I enjoyed the first novella in this series and decided to jump right into the second one.  I actually ended up liking this one more than the first. 

This novella picks up right after the events of the first in the series.  There is some continuation of the story from the first novella so it is probably best to read these in order if at all possible.  Although, I do think that readers who decide to read this novella as a stand alone will be okay since the bulk of the plot is contained within this installment with only a few threads taken from the first in the series.  

This novella was really almost non-stop action which I absolutely loved.  The more action the better.  This story focuses on Stevie and Zane.  Zane and Stevie work together in the police department which has been quite busy in this little town.  They are called when a dead body is found at the local motel and before long they are trying to solve two different murders that are quite possibly linked.

I liked following Stevie and Zane as they worked to solve the murders.  The alternating voices in this novella worked well and it was nice to be able to spend time in both Stevie and Zane's head.  The relationship between the pair worked well for me this time.  I never felt that anything was forced or sappy.  The excitment in this story really built until the very end and I was almost holding my breath before it was over.

I would highly recommend this novella to others.  This is the first time that I have read any of Kendra Elliot's work but I plan to look for her books in the future.  

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Amazon Publishing - Montlake Romance via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Rogue Winter Series
          • Book #1: Tracks of Her Tears by Melinda Leigh - My Review
          • Book #2: Dead in Her Tracks by Kendra Elliot

About the Author

Kendra Elliot grew up in the lush Pacific Northwest and still lives there with her husband, three daughters, two cats, and a Pomeranian. She's fascinated with forensics, refuses to eat anything green, and loves a strong Mai Tai on the beach on Kauai.

The BONE SECRETS NOVELS: HIDDEN, CHILLED, BURIED, ALONE, and VEILED (a novella.) KNOWN coming JAN 2016.

The CALLAHAN & McLANE novels are a spin-off of the Bone Secrets books. VANISHED, BRIDGED, SPIRALED, and a fourth coming Summer 2016.

BURIED was a 2014 International Thriller Writers finalist, a 2014 Daphne Du Maurier winner, and a Romantic Times Reviewers Choice finalist.



Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

4 comments:

  1. You are really running through these novellas. I have a whole list of shorts (mostly Christmas themed) ready to start Dec.1st, and I'm hoping to read one a day until the 25th. I hope to make it, or get as close to 25 as possible. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been on a novella kick lately. I actually just added several more to my reading list. I have a 4 month old puppy who is making it a little difficult to get much reading time squeezed into my schedule. I have quite a few Christmas reads lined up myself. I can't wait to see what you have planned for December!

      Delete
  2. I like Stevie and Zane as a couple. Have you read the series these novellas spun off from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Bea. Stevie and Zane were really good together. I have not read the series that came before these novellas but I may need to take a look at them soon.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...