Saturday, October 10, 2015

#Review - Until Beth by Lisa Amowitz @lisa_amowitz

Until Beth by Lisa Amowitz
Series: Life & Beth #1
Spencer Hill Press
Publication Date: September 29, 2015
Date Read:  September 28, 2015

She doesn’t just play, she kills it.

Talented rock guitarist Beth Collins has been barely holding herself together for months, ever since her boyfriend and bandmate became the latest victim in a string of suspicious disappearances. When her brother is injured an accident and she sees something dark billowing around him as he hovers close to death, she’s convinced her sanity is collapsing for good.

Then she's accepted by a boarding school for the musically gifted. All of her new friends are bursting with talent, but they're also keeping secrets. Can she trust Vincent, who's so sweet that his very touch makes her fears melt away? Or Xavier, who's trying to tell her something but is hiding even more?

And will anyone be safe when her true Talent comes out?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | BAM!



I know exactly why I picked up this book.....that cover.  I love that cover.  I seriously could not request this book fast enough.  The combination of music and death as the focus of the story was just calling to me.  I don't even understand why a book's cover is still so important to me since I do almost all of my reading on a kindle....but it is.  I ended up thinking that this was a decent book but in my mind it never quite lived up to the cover.  

This book started out really strong for me.  Beth is part of a band that happen to be a close group of friends.  Her boyfriend is missing and most people believe that he may be dead.   Beth proves to be a fighter very early in the book when she finds herself in a position to fight off a would be rapist.  There was just the right balance of dark and mystical things going on to really hook me.

Then Beth is accepted at a boarding school for musically gifted teens and the book took on an all too average feel for me.  Everyone at the school has some type of special ability and Beth must learn about what she is really capable of doing.  The mystery surrounding the school and Beth's abilities kept my interest to a point but the book became much easier to put down after the opening scenes.  

At times I really liked Beth but there were also times that I couldn't connect with her at all.  None of the other characters in the book really stood out either.  The boarding school that Beth went to should have been really exciting but it just felt so average to me.  I did find the connection between Beth and Vincent to be interesting.  I think that Xavier's character had a lot of potential and I feel like he has an interesting story to tell but he just didn't get enough time in the story for that to be fully developed.

I thought that this was an okay story that I am glad that I read.  This is the first book by Lisa Amowitz that I have read.  I am not sure whether I will continue with this series right now.  There were a few interesting threads that I would like to see picked up in the sequel so I may give book #2 a chance.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Spencer Hill Press via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.


About the Author

Lisa Amowitz was born in Queens and raised in the wilds of Long Island, New York where she climbed trees, thought small creatures lived under rocks and studied ant hills. And drew. A lot.

Lisa has been a professor of graphic design at  Bronx Community College where she has been tormenting and cajoling students for nearly eighteen years. She started writing eight years ago because she wanted something to illustrate, but somehow, instead ended up writing YA. Probably because her mind is too dark and twisted for small children.

BREAKING GLASS which was released July 9, 2013 from Spencer Hill Press, is her first published work. VISION, the first book in the Finder Series, released September 9, 2014 and its unnamed sequel will release winter, 2016. UNTIL BETH, a YA urban fantasy, will release September 2015.

So stay tuned because Lisa is very hyper and has to create stuff to stay alive.



Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...