Friday, October 2, 2015

#Review - The Martian by Andy Weir - Movie Trailer

The Martian by Andy Weir
Crown Publishing
Publication Date: February 11, 2014
Date Read:  September 20, 2015

Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars.

Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he’s alive—and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive.

Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.

But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills—and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit—he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | BAM! 



This is another one of those books that are really kind of hard for me to review.  I expected to be blown away by this book.  Everything about this book sounded absolutely perfect.  A man stranded on Mars....it just doesn't get more exciting than that.  I wasn't blown away.  I liked the story well enough but I have to admit that sometimes the science got a little too much for me.  I ended up enjoyed some parts of the book much more than others but I do think that this book will be a great framework for a very good movie.  

Basically, anyone who has seen a movie preview or read the synopsis for this book has a basic understanding of the story line.  Mark Watney is part of a group of astronauts doing some work on Mars.  When things go horribly wrong, Mark is left alone on the planet and must figure out how to survive long enough to possibly be rescued.  

I liked a lot of the book quite a bit.  Some things just became a bit much for me.  I loved Mark's sense of humor....to a point.  At times, it was just a bit much.  I appreciate being able to laugh during times of adversity but I don't think that anyone could have remained in such good spirits being isolated and alone as Mark was during most of the book.  I didn't dislike Mark but I didn't fall in love with him either.  I am thinking that movie Mark will be a little harder to resist because.....well, Matt Damon.  

I found the science in the story to be very interesting....until it wasn't anymore.  Enough is enough and there were times in the story that it was just too much.  I like science.  I felt like the science took over the plot of the book at times.  If Mark had someone to discuss the science with it probably would have fit into the plot better possibly as conversation.  Some of the science in the book really felt like information dumping to me and I found myself setting the book aside to do other things.  

I liked most of the scenes that took place on Earth and on the spacecraft.  I really thought that the parts of the book where characters were able to interact with each other worked well.  I actually liked the parts that Mark was able to communicate.  A story of one man's thoughts about science on Mars can get a bit dull.  I also think that there were a lot of very exciting sections in the book that really kept me glued to the book.  The parts that I liked....I really liked.

I would recommend this book to others.   I think most readers will really enjoy this story and I know that a lot of people are looking forward to the movie.  I still can't believe that I jumped on the bandwagon with the timing of reading this book.  I must admit that I can't wait to see the movie with my husband.  This is the first book by Andy Weir that I have read and I look forward to other works by this author.





About the Author

ANDY WEIR was first hired as a programmer for a national laboratory at age fifteen and has been working as a software engineer ever since. He is also a lifelong space nerd and a devoted hobbyist of subjects like relativistic physics, orbital mechanics, and the history of manned spaceflight. The Martian is his first novel.


Author Links: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Great review. I read this book a few weeks ago and liked it. I think it’ll make a good movie.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AJ! I think that this book is going to make a fantastic movie. I hope to find a couple of hours this weekend to sneak off to the theater.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...