Saturday, September 19, 2015

#Review - The Rogue You Know by Shana Galen

The Rogue You Know by Shana Galen
Series: Covent Garden Cubs #2
Sourcebooks Casablanca
Publication Date: September 1, 2015
Date Read: September 17, 2015 

She's beyond his reach...

Gideon Harrow has spent his life in London's dark underworld-and he wants out. A thief and a con, he plans one last heist to finally win his freedom. But when everything goes wrong, he finds himself at the tender mercies of one of Society's most untouchable women-Lady Susanna Derring.

...and out of her depth.

Susanna has spent her life in London's glittering ton, under the thumb of a domineering mother-and she wants out. When a wickedly charming rogue lands at her feet, she jumps at the chance to experience life before it's too late. But as she descends into London's underworld, she finds that nothing- not even Gideon-is as it seems. As excitement turns to danger, Susanna must decide what price she's willing to pay...for the love of a reformed thief.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her




Another great installment in the Covent Garden Cubs series!  I haven't read a whole lot of Shana Galen but I have really enjoyed each installment in this series.  This book is part of a series but it could easily be read as a stand alone novel.  There are characters in this story from earlier books but everything that you would need to enjoy this story is contained in this book.  I wouldn't hesitate to grab this book even if you haven't read the previous installments.

I really liked this book even though my initial reaction was that it was a bit predictable.  After giving it some thought, I have decided that being predictable isn't always such a bad thing, especially when it comes to historical romance.  I like to read historical romances that are historically accurate so that adds some predictability to the equation.  I am not an expert on this time period by any means but based on other books that I have it read, it did seem to be at least somewhat accurate.  I also like to see a happy ending.  I not only like it....I demand it.  There is almost nothing worse that a romance novel that does not have a happy ending.  I could have told you that the two main characters would end up with their own happily ever after before I read the first word.  That means that during the entire book, I knew that they would overcome any problems because they had to end up together.  You know what...it doesn't even matter because I enjoyed the journey.  This is the kind of predictability that works for me.   It is the little things that make a book a little different than the rest that makes all the difference.

I love the fact that this series is focused on a group of thieves.  One of the main characters in this story, Gideon, is one of those thieves.  It quickly becomes apparent that Gideon is really much more than a thief.  He is really quite honorable and a genuinely good man who happens to be a thief simply because it is a means to survive.  For me, Gideon was really the star of this book.  I did like Lady Susanna more as the book progressed but at the beginning of the story she seemed overly spoiled and I have to admit that I wanted to slap her a couple of times.  Of course, as the daughter of an Earl that would probably be quite realistic. I enjoyed the chemistry between Gideon and Susanna.  I found that I really liked them as a couple and their willingness to sacrifice for each other was well-done. 

I really liked the pacing of the story.  There was a surprising amount of action for a historical romance which I think really sets this series apart from many others.  The dog, Beauty, was fantastic and stole more than a few scenes.  The dog was able to get the pair out of a couple of nearly impossible situations that did stretch the imagination a bit but I enjoyed every scene that featured Beauty.  The balance between action, romance, and a bit of humor made this novel very enjoyable.

I would recommend this book to fans of historical romance.  This is only the second full length book written by Shana Galen that I have read but I plan to continue reading works by this very talented author.  I can't wait to see what else is going to happen in this series. 

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Sourcebooks Casablanca via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Covent Garden Cubs Series
Book #0.5 - Viscount of Vice - My Review
Book #1 - Earls Just Want to Have Fun - My Review
Book #2 - The Rogue You Know - Don't miss this guest post with giveaway!

About the Author

Shana Galen is the bestselling author of fast-paced adventurous Regency historicals, including the RT Reviewers' Choice The Making of a Gentleman. Booklist says, "Galen expertly entwines espionage-flavored intrigue with sizzling passion," and RT Bookreviews calls her "a grand mistress of the action/adventure subgenre." She taught English at the middle and high school level off and on for eleven years. Most of those years were spent working in Houston's inner city. Now she writes full time. She's happily married and has a daughter who is most definitely a romance heroine in the making. Shana loves to hear from readers, so send her an email or see what she's up to daily on Facebook and Twitter.

Author Links: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one. I do love historical romance, and I don't mind it when its predictable, as long as the story keeps me entertained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love historical romances every once in a while. I agree that sometimes predictable works. I just need to be entertained by a book.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...