Saturday, August 15, 2015

Review - The Fold by Peter Clines

The Fold by Peter Clines

Crown Publishing Group
Publication Date: June 2, 2015
Date Read:  August 15, 2015

STEP INTO THE FOLD.
IT’S PERFECTLY SAFE.
The folks in Mike Erikson's small New England town would say he's just your average, everyday guy. And that's exactly how Mike likes it. Sure, the life he's chosen isn’t much of a challenge to someone with his unique gifts, but he’s content with his quiet and peaceful existence.

That is, until an old friend presents him with an irresistible mystery, one that Mike is uniquely qualified to solve: far out in the California desert, a team of DARPA scientists has invented a device they affectionately call the Albuquerque Door. Using a cryptic computer equation and magnetic fields to “fold” dimensions, it shrinks distances so that a traveler can travel hundreds of feet with a single step.

The invention promises to make mankind’s dreams of teleportation a reality. And, the scientists insist, traveling through the Door is completely safe.

Yet evidence is mounting that this miraculous machine isn’t quite what it seems—and that its creators are harboring a dangerous secret.

As his investigations draw him deeper into the puzzle, Mike begins to fear there’s only one answer that makes sense. And if he’s right, it may only be a matter of time before the project destroys…everything.

A cunningly inventive mystery featuring a hero worthy of Sherlock Holmes and a terrifying final twist you’ll never see coming, The Fold is that rarest of things: a genuinely page-turning science-fiction thriller. Step inside its pages and learn why author Peter Clines has already won legions of loyal fans.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23164927-the-fold

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | BAM!



I am a little torn about this book.  I loved this book and found it to be an engrossing story for the first 250 pages or so.  At that point the story took a left turn for me and I have to admit that I am still wondering why the author decided to go in that direction.  The last section of the book wasn't bad in any way it just wasn't the direction that I thought the story would go.  I do realize that many people will actually find the final parts of the book to be the highlight of the story.

I almost immediately liked the main character, Mike.  The way Mike's character was completely relate-able despite the fact that he has abilities that are beyond the average individual was amazing.  Not only was Mike relate-able, I was able to completely envision how his mind worked and how he was able to process everything so quickly.   It took me a lot longer to connect with any of the other characters in the story but that is largely because of how the story developed.

I loved the idea behind the story.  A device that can teleport individuals?  Where do I sign up?  Every time I have to drive a distance, I dream of the day that this device will become a reality.  A story based on such a device was one that I couldn't wait to read.  This straight forward idea was presented in a way that kept me turning the pages.  I couldn't figure out what was really going on and I found myself having a hard time putting this book down.

I really enjoyed the author's writing style.  The pacing of the novel was well done and I loved the fact that the story made me think.  There was more than enough action to keep me guessing and there were lots of twists that I could have never guessed.  I was really wanting to see how Mike was going to figure everything out.  I loved being in his head and seeing how his mind worked on these problems.  

This was a solid 4 star book for me until the last 100 pages or so of the book.  As I mentioned, the story took a turn that just didn't seem to flow with the rest of the story for me.  It was exciting and unexpected but it almost felt like a different story for me.  It was really the last part of the book that caused me to lower my rating to 3 stars but I do think that many readers will enjoy the twist.  

I would recommend this book to science fiction fans.  This is the first book by Peter Clines that I have read and I look forward to reading some of his other work in the near future. 

I received a copy of the book from Blogging for Books for the purpose of providing an honest review.


About the Author

PETER CLINES has published several pieces of short fiction and countless articles on the film and television industries. He is the author of the Ex-Heroes series and the acclaimed standalone thriller 14. He lives in Southern California.


Author Links: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. I almost picked this up today! But I'm glad I resisted as I'm not really into Sci-fi all that much. Thanks for the honesty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read science fiction very often either. I kept thinking of some of the Star Trek episodes that I have seen while I was reading this book. I am glad that I read it even though the ending was less than satisfying for me.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...