Sunday, July 5, 2015

Review - Those Girls by Chevy Stevens

Those Girls by Chevy Stevens
St. Martin's Press 
Publication Date: July 7, 2015
Date Read:  July 5, 2015

Chevy Stevens is back with her most powerful, emotional thriller yet— a story of survival…and revenge.

Life has never been easy for the three Campbell sisters. Jess, Courtney, and Dani live on a remote ranch in Western Canada where they work hard and try to stay out of the way of their father’s fists. One night, a fight gets out of hand and the sisters are forced to go on the run, only to get caught in an even worse nightmare when their truck breaks down in a small town. Events spiral out of control and a chance encounter with the wrong people leaves them in a horrific and desperate situation. They are left with no choice but to change their names and create new lives.

Eighteen years later, they are still trying to forget what happened that summer when one of the sisters goes missing and they are pulled back into their past.

This time there’s nowhere left to run.

As much of a thriller as it is a deep exploration of the bonds among sisters, THOSE GIRLS is an unforgettable portrait of desperation, loyalty, and evil.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her




I really enjoyed reading this book.  How is it that I haven't read anything written by Chevy Stevens before now?  This is the kind of book that I really enjoy reading and I am amazed that I somehow missed this author.  I think I even own one of her earlier books but have never felt compelled to open it but I can tell you that it will not remain unread much longer.

This book really opened with a bang and I was immediately hooked.  The story is told from two points of view and is set in two different time periods.  I don't think that this type of storytelling always works but I did like how everything comes together in this story.  The first part of the story which is told from Jess's point of view was my favorite section of the story.  There was a lot of action and I had no idea which way the story was headed.  I had a really hard time putting the book down during the entire first part.

The second part of the story is from Skylar's point of view and is set in the present time.  I have to admit that this was not my favorite part of the book.  For a large part of this section, I wanted to scream at Skylar to stop what she was doing because nothing good as going to come from her actions.  The last section of the story wraps everything up nicely and kept me in suspense until the very end.

This book was definitely a page turner and I ended up reading it from cover to cover in less than 24 hours.  I found that there were enough twist and turns to keep me guessing and fully engrossed in the story.  I really liked the author's writing style and thought that she did a perfect job of pacing the story.  This was the kind of book that was really hard to put down.  There was quite a bit of violence in this story so I don't think that it will be the right book for everyone.

I would recommend this book to mystery thriller fans.  This is the first book by Chevy Stevens that I have had a chance to read and look forward to reading her other works soon.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.


About the Author

CHEVY STEVENS grew up on a ranch on Vancouver Island and still calls the island home. For most of her adult life she worked in sales, first as a rep for a giftware company and then as a Realtor. While holding an open house one afternoon, she had a terrifying idea that became the inspiration for Still Missing. Chevy eventually sold her house and left real estate so she could finish the book. Still Missing went on to become a New York Times bestseller and win the International Thriller Writers Award for Best First Novel.  Chevy’s books have been optioned for movies and are published in more than thirty countries.

Chevy enjoys writing thrillers that allow her to blend her interest in family dynamics with her love of the west coast lifestyle. When she’s not working on her next book, she’s camping and canoeing with her husband and daughter in the local mountains.


Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

4 comments:

  1. Excellent review--adding this to my TBR. I've read Still Missing and I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! I have had a copy of Still Missing for a while but have not read it yet. It is good to know that you enjoyed it. I hope you like this book as much as I did!

      Delete
  2. Still Missing is my favorite by Stevens. That Night is pretty good too. Glad you enjoyed this. Hoping I'll have time to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to read Still Missing soon. It seems to be really popular. I will have to take a look at That Night.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...