Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Review - Somebody I Used to Know by David Bell

Somebody I Used to Know by David Bell
Penguin Group Berkely, NAL
Publication Date:  July 7, 2015
Date Read: June 14, 2015



5 Stars!

I loved this book!  I am not really sure what prompted me to download this book from NetGalley.  There was just something about it that made me take a second look and the reviews looked very positive so I decided to add it to my TBR list.  I didn't actually plan to read it right away but when I opened the file to take a look as I often do, I started reading it and was immediately pulled into the story.  Every time I thought about how I needed to put the book down to get other things done, I kept telling myself that I would read just one more chapter.  Famous last words.  I ended up reading the whole book in less than 24 hours.

This is exactly the kind of book that I tend to love.  It was full of twist and turns that kept me guessing the whole time.  This book was really hard for me to put down because I just had to know what was going to happen next.  The pacing of the story was excellent.  The characters felt authentic and the plot was believable. 

Nick is a divorced man in his early forties.  He sees a young woman in the grocery store who not looks a lot like his college girlfriend but also shares some of her mannerisms.  Nick's college girlfriend, Marissa, died in a house fire back when they were in college.  When he approaches the girl to find out if she might be related, she immediately runs away.  When the police show up at his door the next morning because the same girl has been murdered, Nick finds himself in the middle of a murder investigation and starts questioning all of the things that happened 20 years ago while he was in college.

I was really impressed with how this story was able to keep me guessing.  I actually cared about the outcome because I could relate to the characters because they felt real.  While it may be a little far fetched to imagine all of the things that happen in this book actually occurring, I always felt like everything was plausible.  I am surprised by how much I related to Nick.  He really seems like an average good guy who is thrown in the middle of a situation and decides to try to figure out what is really going on. 

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good mystery thriller.  I think fans of Harlan Coben and Linwood Barclay will enjoy this fast paced novel.  This is the first book by David Bell that I have had a chance to read but I am definitely planning to check out other works by this author very soon.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Group Berkely, NAL via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good one and what an intriguing premise! This isn't a book I'd heard of before but I definitely want to read it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine! It really was a great read. It was a read now title on NetGalley if you were interested. I can't wait to see what you think of this one.

      Delete
  2. I've never been a big fan of mystery, but lately, every book I pick up has at least some kind of secret that I must know! lol. I think I've seen this before, but I never read the full description. It sounds really interesting! I'll have to add this to my to-read list! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Neisas Nook! I used to read a lot of mysteries but for some reason I don't read them as much anymore. I really need to read this kind of book more often because I just love them. I hope you enjoy this book as much as did!

      Delete
  3. It must be a great book if you only went in to get a peek and then ended up reading the whole thing! Especially as you read it in under a day as well! Quite impressive if you ask me :3 I hope to try this one myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a book that really grabbed me right from the start. I loved all of the twists and turns and how it kept me guessing. I hope that you get a chance to read this one. I would love to know what you think.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...