Saturday, May 16, 2015

Review - Southern Spirits by Angie Fox

Southern Spirits by Angie Fox
Season Publishing
Publication Date:  January 21, 2015
Date Read: May 16, 2015

Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble

3.5 Stars!

I ended up enjoying this story quite a bit.  I decided to pick this book up because I was in the mood for a light, easy read.  This book filled that order quite nicely.  I caught myself smiling a few times during the story and I just loved the fact that the main character, Verity, has a pet skunk.  What really caught my eye with this book was the paranormal aspect.  I tend to love to read about anything that falls into that category so I was more than ready for this little ghost story. 

Once the mystery in the story really got going, I will admit that I was hooked.  I don't read a whole lot of cozy mysteries because all too often, I seem to figure out the mystery before the big reveal.  That wasn't the case with this book and I have to admit that I didn't have a clue what was really going on until it was revealed. I just loved the Ghostbusters and Poltergeist references in the story.

I liked the characters in this book.  Verity had a lot of spunk and just deals with things as they happen.  She doesn't want to sell her house and is trying to avoid it but she is coping.  Ellis was an all around good guy.  He is a police officer who is also in the middle of rehabbing a property.  He needs a little bit of help with his ghost problem so he enlists the help of Verity.  The ghost, Frankie, was actually a nice guy who really tried to help Verity despite his criminal lifestyle.

I didn't love everything about the book.  I couldn't believe how easily Verity accepted that she now had a ghost following her around and how quickly he talked her into doing things.  I also didn't think that she would be so quick to accept any kind of offer from her fiance's brother.  I didn't let either of those things bother me as I read the story.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys cozy mysteries with a paranormal focus.  This was a great book for anyone looking for something that's fun without being series.  This is the first book by Angie Fox that I have had a chance to read.  I will probably continue on with this series.

I received a copy of this book from Season Publishing via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.


2 comments:

  1. A pet skunk That's different. :D

    It sounds like a book I'd like but I agree that accepting you h ave a ghost following you seems like it shouldn't be easy. Ah well. I'll see if my library has this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pet skunk is definitely different. It was a fun mystery.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...