Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Review - Angelfall by Susan Ee

Angelfall by Susan Ee
Narrated by Caitlin Davis
Series:  Penryn & the End of Days #1
Skyscape / Brilliance Audio
Publication Date: August 28, 2012
Date Read:  April 16, 2015

Goodreads | Audible | Amazon | Barnes & Noble

3 Stars

I have a feeling that I went into this book with my expectations set way too high.  I was ready to read a story that was supposed to knock my socks off but this book lacked any kind of "Wow" factor for me.  I have had this book in my TBR pile since I picked it up as a freebie in January 2013 and I couldn't wait to read a story about angles.  I remember even then how much everyone was raving about this book but I somehow kept skipping over it.

I decided it was time to finally read it when a group of my friends on Goodreads organized a buddy read.  With all the 5 star reviews, I just knew that I would love it.   I wanted to love it.  I wish that I had loved it but I didn't love it.  I didn't hate it but I didn't think that it was any better than just okay. 

I switched back and forth between reading this book and listening to the audible version.  I never fell in the love with the narrator and I did find that I liked the book a bit more when I was actually reading the story instead of listening to it.  I think that Caitlin Davis did a good job with the narration and she sounds like I would expect Penryn to sound but for some reason this narration just didn't connect with me.

I thought that the plot was decent.  There were enough twists and turns to keep things exciting and it was a unique storyline. There were some really awesome moments in this book and there were a few spots where I found myself rolling my eyes.  There were a few times in the book that I wished that things had taken a different direction but it was overall a solid story.  I did feel like the book dragged at times and it was always very easy for me to set this book aside to do something else.

I had expected to fall in love with Rafe.  Everyone keeps saying how much they love Rafe.  I wanted to join in on the love but it wasn't meant to be.  I thought Rafe was okay but his character lacked that something extra I had expected.  I didn't connect with Penryn in any way either.  I didn't dislike her but I didn't find myself loving her either. 

I still plan to read the second book in this series, World After.  I liked it enough to want to see what the fuss is all about in the second book and heck, I already bought the silly book so I might as well read it.  I am definitely in the minority with my rating of the book so I would tell anyone interested to give it a shot since most people seem to love this book.

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way when I finished reading Angelfall. Really, cant figure out why a lot loved it but you know what? I ended up liking World After. You might do too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know! I do plan to go ahead and read the second book. Hopefully, I will feel the same as you did. I am also very glad to hear that someone else felt the same about Angelfall.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...