Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Review - Someone is Watching by Joy Fielding

Someone is Watching by Joy Fielding
Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine
Publication Date:  March 24, 2015
Date Read: March 30, 2015

Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble


3 Stars

I am always looking for something out of the ordinary to read so I like to try new authors quite frequently.  I have seen Joy Fielding's books but had not yet read anything by this author so I thought it was time to check out her writing since I love a good mystery.   I am glad that I made the decision to read this book because I was completely pulled into this story.

I want to warn other readers right away that this story deals with the subject of rape because I think that this book may be somewhat traumatic for some readers.  I was really expecting a run of the mill mystery and was a bit shocked when rape entered the story.  I think it is really a brave choice to have such a heavy focus on a such a horrible crime and its aftermath. 

Bailey is working as a private investigator at a law firm doing surveillance on the night that she is attacked and severely injured.  She doesn't know who attacked her and can only give the police very little information to go on to find her attacker.  Bailey has a really tough time dealing with the rape and I wanted to smack every single person in her life for not making sure that she got the help that she so desperately needed. 

Quite a few characters in this story were very unlikable.  Her brother, Heath, was absolutely useless.  Gene seemed to try take over anytime he was around.  Travis and Sean were not good for Bailey to be around.  Not only were many of these characters unlikeable they brought more problems to Bailey that she did not need.

My favorite character in the story was Bailey's niece, Jade.  She said what she thought and didn't sugar coat anything but it was obvious that she did care about Bailey.  Claire became very close to Bailey during the story and really seemed to step up and actually give her the help she needed.  I liked Bailey but it was really hard at times to be so close to her thoughts.  I wanted to get her to a therapist's office right away.  I understand her need to find out who is was that attacked her but her accusations of nearly every man she came in contact with became almost tedious at time.

There ended up being two real mysteries to solve by the end of the book.  I am not sure that I can completely buy into how either of them were resolved.  I really feel a bit let down by how the book ended to be absolutely honest which is really a shame.  Overall I found this book to be very well written and I would recommend it to other readers.  I really had a hard time putting it down so it was really hard to see the ending fall so flat.   

I received a copy of this book from Random House Publishing - Ballantine via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

6 comments:

  1. I remember reading some of her novels years ago and enjoying them but I bet all her books can't be good ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that even the best author sometimes writes a rather bad book. This is a rather good book and I really liked her overall writing style. I would have probably rated it 4 stars until I got to the ending. I was just so let down by how the story ended but I liked that it was unexpected. I definitely plan to read more from this author in the future.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this one, but I can see how the ending might be a bit of a letdown. I loved Jade, too.

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the writing style and I was completely sucked into the story. I think other readers may not have the same issues with the ending that I did. Jade was pretty awesome. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  3. I'm about 99% sure I read a book by Joy Fielding back in college though I can't remember what it was. The woman had amnesia and her husband may or may not have been trying to kill her. I really enjoyed it but since it was pre-Amazon days (and me being broke days) I never found anymore of her books. Thanks for the reminder! I'll have to look for this one. Jade especially sounds like an interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes can't remember some of the books that I have read. I am so glad that I actually keep track of the books that I read on Goodreads. I was lucky enough to grab a Joy Fielding collection of 3 books for my kindle for free about 3 years ago. I think it may be time to read some of those books.

      I can't wait to see what you think about this one.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...