Saturday, March 7, 2015

Gluten-Free Classic Snacks by Nicole Hunn

Gluten-Free Classic Snacks by Nicole Hunn
Perseus Books Group, Da Capo Press
Publication Date:  April 7, 2015
Date Read: February 8, 2015

Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble

5 Stars!

Fork over the snacks, and nobody needs to get hurt.
I love this cookbook!  It is hard for me to talk about this cookbook without getting a little personal so I am just going to go for it.  My husband and daughter both have Celiac disease.  When my husband was diagnosed about 10 years ago, we tried to adjust but did a poor job if I am being honest.  Then my daughter was diagnosed almost 3 years ago and I was determined that we would get it right.  My husband also decided it was time to set a good example and strictly follow the gluten-free diet. 

My entire household is gluten-free because it is a medical necessity for my husband and daughter.  Even the tiniest crumb of gluten can make my daughter extremely ill so we take this very seriously.  I still remember how lost I felt when she was first diagnosed and I was trying to figure out what we could eat.  It wasn't long before I stumbled upon Nicole Hunn's blog, Gluten Free on a Shoestring, and found the guidance I so desperately needed.  I fell in love with Nicole's philosophy that gluten free food should taste good - my family deserves to eat food that tastes great.

I love her cookbooks for so many reasons.  This cookbook, like her others, offers sound guidance.  The best advice that I have received regarding gluten-free cooking was to start with the flour.  I purchased my first 25 lb bag of Better Batter several years ago and have never looked back.  Nicole really breaks everything down, including advice on where to buy some of the ingredients so that anyone can be successful with the recipes in this cookbook. 

If a baked good tastes "gluten-free," as compared to just simply 
delicious, it's just not good enough.

The recipes in this cookbook are phenomenal.  Do you see the cover of this cookbook?  All of my favorite Little Debbie and Hostess recipes are here (in copycat form-of course).  But there is more, Girl Scout cookies, Keebler cookies, Entenmann's muffins, Tastykake, Keebler and Nabisco crackers, Quaker Breakfast cookies, Kellogg's Nutri-Grain bars, Kellogg's Po-Tarts, granola bars, donuts, and even candy bars all make an appearance. 

Obviously, these are not the kind of recipes that you should base your diet on but when your child is asking for a twinkie it really is the best feeling in the world to be able to provide it.  I have been a long time fan of Nicole Hunn and I have her other cookbooks and I have come across some of the recipes before but I really like having a cookbook that has all of them in one place. 

I would highly recommend this cookbook to everyone who likes a gluten-free snack.  It is easy to follow, the treats are delicious, and the cookbook is well laid out with lots of wonderful photos.  I can only think of one complaint - the number of hours in the gym that I will have to endure to work off all of these wonderful treats!

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Perseus Books Group, Da Capo Press and Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...