Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Quick and the Undead by Kimberly Raye

The Quick and the Undead by Kimberly Raye
Series: Tombstone, Texas #1
Bell Bridge Books
Publication Date:  November 26, 2014
Date Read:  December 13, 2014

Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Bell Bridge Books via Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.


1.5 Stars

I was not impressed by this book at all.  When I requested a book about vampire cowboys from Net Galley, I wanted a fun but quirky read.  I like things that are a bit different and since I like cowboys and I like vampires, I thought this would be a blast.  Boy was I ever wrong.  The idea had potential but the execution was lacking. 

This book seemed confused about what kind of book it wanted to be.  After the main character's vibrator is mentioned several times early in the story, I actually stopped reading to check and whether or not this was actually classified as erotica.  It never really went there but at times the story almost seemed like it wanted to cross the line into erotica.  Don't get me wrong - I am not a prude.  Not at all.  I don't read erotica because I have found that books that fall into that category are often lacking a decent plot.  Sex seemed to be the major focus of the book and it did nothing to strengthen the plot.  To make matters worse, I thought the sex scenes in this book were actually quite boring.

The plot had some potential.  A group of vampires that were all turned in the Old West return as a group to reclaim the town of Tombstone.  In order to make that possible, they operate a vacation destination that will bring back the Old West for travelers.  This group of vampires were all sired by the same vampire and once were part of an outlaw vampire gang.  The whole group is in the town of Tombstone with the exception of their maker.  This was interesting....but the story spent more time focused on Riley's sexual longing than this group of vampires.

I didn't care about the characters at all.  I thought much of the story was ridiculous.  For example, when Boone thinks Riley might be in trouble does he keep her next to him to protect her at all times - no....he puts her in a cave by herself while he searches for the villian.  She literally spends a large part of the story in a cave by herself. 

I really cannot recommend this story to anyone.  There are too many well done vampire stories out there to waste your time with this one.  I was able to finish the story but I didn't enjoy any of it.  I actually read the whole book because I kept think that it had to get better soon but it didn't. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...