Monday, December 15, 2014

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
Series:  Reckoners #1
Random House - Delacorte Press
Publication Date:  September 24, 2013
Date Read:  December 11, 2014

Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble

4.5 Stars
 Because sometimes, you need to help the heroes along.

When I saw a bunch of my friends on Goodreads were planning a buddy read for this book, I decided to jump right in and I ended up having a blast with this book.  I really went into this book somewhat blindly.  I didn't really look to see what the book was even about.  I just know that my daughter had this book and I kept seeing how good it was.  I like good books so I just went with it.

This book ended up being so much fun!  I was immediately hooked on this book from the opening line.  I think that this book does a better job of grabbing the reader right away than almost anything else that I have ever read.  Seriously,  the prolog of this book is absolutely amazing.  I quickly figured out that this was a superhero kind of book but with a twist - the superheros, or epics, are the bad guys.  Wow!  That twist never crossed my small mind, not even once.
I didn't have many philosophies about life, but one of them was something my father had taught me: never throw the first punch.  If you had to throw the second, try to make sure they don't get up for a third.
The Reckoners are trying to stop the epics.  They target specific epics and carefully plan before exterminating them.  David, who lost his father to Steelheart, hopes to become a part of the Reckoners group so he figures out where they might be and somehow gets himself noticed.  The Reckoners are quite the group.  I absolutely loved Cody and Abraham.  The Professor was quite interesting and a great leader.  Tia was a kind of behind the scenes characters who missed out on a lot of the action.  I liked Megan at times and didn't like her at all at other times.

David quickly becomes a part of the group largely because of the knowledge he has about Steelheart.  He has seen him bleed and has therefore seen his weakness.  The question is can the group figure out what that weakness is?  David was such a great characters.  He would be brave on minute and take unnecessary risks the next.  He would seem like a child at one point and wise beyond his years at others.  David is incredibly smart and focused but can't seem to figure out how to make a decent metaphor.
"Wow," I said. "It's like...a banana farm for guns."
"A banana farm," Megan said flatly.
"Sure. You know, how bananas grow from trees and hang down and stuff?"
"Knees, you suck at metaphors."

The beginning and the end of the book were filled with non-stop action.  There were a few twists that I didn't see coming but I wasn't completely shocked either.  The middle parts of the book contained a lot of planning and to be honest, I missed the fast paced constant action.  I loved that this book was funny at times.  David's inability to construct a metaphor and Cody's general personality made for quite a few laughs.  The story was completely unique and the world building was fantastic.

I would highly recommend this book to others.  This was the first book by Brandon Sanderson that I have read and I can't wait to read more of his work.  I definitely plan to continue with this series.

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I thought those metaphors were quite good! Odd but orginial... I really liked this book too, thought it was fun & enjoyed how Sanderson broke down epics. Can't wait to read the second book :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The metaphors always put a smile on my face! David was so serious about trying to come up with them. It was a really fun book and the second one comes out soon. I will definitely be reading it.

      Delete
  2. This book has been on my TBR for awhile now and I really wanna read it before I pick up the Misborn trilogy because I feel like it's gonna be an easy read and it's gonna help me with his writing style. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noelia! It was such a fun book. It was the first book by Sanderson that I have had a chance to read but I see more of his work in my near future. This book seemed to be a really quick read for me so it may be a great one to start with.

      Delete
  3. I think I have already seen this review on Goodreads? I have heard a bit about this author, and everyone who has read his books seem to be gushing praise! Which means I have added this book to my TBR, especially with your positive review boosting me. I need to try it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do post all of my reviews on Goodreads as well as on my blog. This was the first book by Brandon Sanderson that I have read and I really had a lot of fun with it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...