Saturday, November 22, 2014

Undefeated by Melissa Cutler


Undefeated by Melissa Cutler
Series:  Bomb Squad #2
Penguin Group
Publication Date:  November 18, 2014
Date Read: November 21, 2014

Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Group via Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.



4 Stars

I was completely sucked into this book right away.  This is the second book in Melissa Cutler's Bomb Squad series but I believe that it could easily be read as a stand alone book.  This series is focused on the players and friends of the Bomb Squad hockey team.  Each book tells a different story based on the same set of characters.  I tend to really enjoy stories that are a little different and this group of characters are anything but ordinary.

Marlena is the local yoga teacher who has just been enlisted to teach yoga to the Bomb Squad in an attempt to bring them out of their losing streak.  This hockey team is composed of wounded warriors each facing their own set of challenges.  Liam does not have any physical injuries from the war but struggles everyday with what he has seen and been through.

Liam and Marlena have known each other for years since Marlena and Olivia, Liam's twin sister, have been best friends from childhood.  The first encounter between Marlena and Liam does not go well with each of them setting off triggers for the other.  Marlena and Liam are both struggling to deal with events from their past and find strength in each other. 

I really enjoyed this story.  These characters were real.  Marlena's denial of her past problems seemed completely authentic to me.  The demons that Liam faced on a daily basis did not leave him acting like the nice guy.  Liam was not the most likeable character but I felt that he seemed so real and I wanted Marlena to help give him strength.  I love the members of the Bomb Squad and was thrilled that they were around a lot in this story.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys contemporary romance.  This is the second book that I have had a chance to read by Melissa Cutler and I look forward to continuing with the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...