Monday, November 10, 2014

Shifting Shadows by Patricia Briggs






Shifting Shadows by Patricia Briggs
Penguin Group
Publication Date:  September 2, 2014
Date Read:  October 18, 2014



4 Stars!

I  love Patricia Briggs.  I absolutely love the Mercy Thompson series and the Alpha & Omega series.  So when I saw that this book was being released, it was an absolute given that I was going to read it.  Most of the stories in this anthology were new to me but I had previously read several of them in other works.  The stories that I had previously read were so good that I decided to read them again when I sat down with this book.

Overall, I loved the book even though there were a few stories that I did not enjoy as well as most of the others.  All of the stories in this book are set in the world of Mercy Thompson.  I was a little disappointed that a couple of the stories did not feature any of the characters that I have grown to love over the years but the stories that did feature familiar characters more than made up for it.

Silver - 4.5 Stars
This was a great little story that features Bran, Samuel, and Arianna.  This story is set very far in the past and I loved learning Bran and Samuel's background.  This story also shows how Samuel and Arianna first met. 

Fairy Gifts - 3 Stars
This is a story about Charles, a vampire, and Maggie, a fae.  None of the characters in this story appear in any of the books set in Mercy's world which surprised me.  I liked this story the least out of the anthology.

Gray - 4 Stars
This is another story that featured characters that I have not seen in any of the books set in Mercy's world but I loved it anyway.  I actually have read this story before in another anthology.  This story features a vampire named Elyna coming home to Chicago. 

Seeing Eye - 4 Stars
This is a story about characters that appear in the Alpha & Omega series, Tom and Moira.  Tom enlists Moira to help him rescue his brother.  It was wonderful to see how this pair meets and I loved everything about Moira. 

Alpha and Omega - 5 Stars
This is my favorite Briggs story of all time.  Anyone who wants to sample how good Patricia Briggs writing really is should read this novella length piece.  This is the story of Anna and Charles and really sets the ground work for the Alpha & Omega series.  I have actually read this story several times and I love it a little more each time.

The Star of David - 4 Stars
This was a story about a werewolf named David.  He gets a call from his daughter that he has not spoken with in many years.  He agrees to help Stella with one a foster boy which leads to a lot of excitement.  This story had a little bit of everything and was a really nice read.

Roses in Winter - 5 Stars
This story was amazing.  I loved this story that featured Asil and Kara but also included Bran and others that I know and love.   Asil and Kara's relationship in this story was so nice to read about.  Watching the troubled Asil help Kara through her troubles was wonderful. 

In Red, with Pearls - 4 Stars
This story was about Warren and his live in boyfriend, Kyle.  The story starts off strong when a zombie shows up at Kyle's office.  Warren works to solve the mystery behind the zombie.  I thought this story was a lot of fun.

Redemption - 3.5 Stars
This was Ben's story.  This story was set at Ben's work and has quite a few funny moments as Ben gives up swearing.  Ben works to protect a woman from his workplace that he is in danger.  I loved seeing this side of Ben.

Hollow - 4 Stars
I was excited to read a new Mercy story.  Mercy investigates a haunting for a woman who is in love.  I loved that Zach and Adam played parts in this enjoyable story. 

In all, I loved this book of stories.  There were even a couple of outtakes at the end of the book that I found delightful.  I do think that this set of stories are going to be most enjoyable to fans of the Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega series and I would definitely recommend this book to those readers. 


2 comments:

  1. This was a really good review because it gave me an insight in the book. I'm not sure I'll read it because it doesn't seem like my type of book at all, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good review. A good review makes gives someone clarity of whether or not they'd like the book (:

    - Love, Felicia
    ( http://asillygirlsthoughts.weebly.com/ )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Felicia! I think that this is the type of book that released for a certain audience. I am sure that the publisher knew that readers of the series would be excited about this one. People who do not read the series would not be as interested.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...