Sunday, November 16, 2014

Revival by Stephen King


Revival by Stephen King
Scribner
Publication Date:  November 11, 2014
Date Read:  November 15, 2014

Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble

5 Stars!

It is really hard to believe but this is the first Stephen King book that I have ever read.  I have really no idea why I never picked up a King book before now - I just didn't do it.  Oh sure, I have bought a few Stephen King books over the years and I have several sitting on my kindle right now just waiting to be read.  I am now a little mad at myself for never opening one of those books because this stuff is amazing.  I am pretty sure that I did read a short story and maybe a novella years ago but that is a little like getting to second (or maybe third) base from my point of view.  I have finally went all the way and consumed a Stephen King novel.

"Something happened."

I decided to read this book simply because I found it sitting on the shelf at my local library this past Wednesday.  I have always wanted to read a King book so I picked it up and after noticing it was only about 400 pages I realized this would be an excellent book to see how I like King's writing.  Don't get me wrong, I like long books but I wanted something a little shorter for my first time.  I decided that this book had been waiting for me to take it home - so that is what I did.

I really did not know what to expect.  I know other readers love his work and I have seen some of the film adaptations of his work so I was hoping for a good story and that is exactly what I got.  I actually opened the book just to take a look and had no plans to start reading it right away.  Who needs plans anyway?  I was instantly pulled into the book and cursed my life every time I had to put it down - sometime work, kids, dinner, and laundry just need to go away. 


This book follows the life of Jamie Morton for about 50 years starting when he was only 6 years old.  That is when he met Reverend Charles Jacobs.  I absolutely loved the part of the book when Jamie was a child and teenager.  I loved watching Jamie first pick up a guitar and fall in love with a girl.

"All that shit starts in E."

Jamie's life intersected with Jacobs years later when Jamie is at a low point.  Jacobs is able to help Jamie but Jamie wonders what the actual cost is.  Jamie becomes very suspicious of Jacobs but also very curious which keeps drawing him to the man until the conclusion of the story.


I really enjoyed the style of writing in this book.  I will say that I liked the beginning of the book more than the end.  The characters really brought a lot to the story for me and the images were incredibly vivid.  I had also hoped for something a little scary and I did not find this book to be at all scary.  I would call it suspenseful not scary.  I think that if Stephen King writes a book the label horror is automatically slapped on.   Even though it was not the horror that I had hoped for, this was one heck of a story and I am glad that I went along for the ride.  I would definitely recommend this book to others and plan to read much more Stephen King myself.



4 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to read something by Stephen King, but I'm not sure I have the courage. xD
    Well written review, though!

    - Love, Felicia
    ( http://asillygirlsthoughts.weebly.com/ )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Felicia! I glad I jumped into this King book. I really like the way he tells a story but I didn't think it was scary. You should pick one of his books up sometime.

      Delete
  2. I have never read a Stephen King book either, and seeing as I want to try one, if I do start, I think this seems like a good one to begin with! Yes, his books are pretty long so I would have to wait until I have time to tackle such a big read, but I am looking forward to it ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is only about 400 pages so it's not too long. I thought it was a great book to start with.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...