Thursday, November 6, 2014

All I Want For Christmas Is You by Jessica Scott


All I Want For Christmas Is You by Jessica Scott
Series:  Coming Home #5.5
Publication Date:  October 22, 2014
Date Read:  October 22, 2014

I received an advance reader edition of this book from the author for the purpose of providing an honest review.



4 Stars

This was a nice enjoyable novella.  I liked the story and it was the perfect choice on an evening when I did not want to start a full length novel.  This is part of a series but I was able to read it as a stand alone story with absolutely no problems.  I really liked that this novella was about bringing a couple in a long term relationship back together instead of the typical boy meets girl romance.

"I was terrified you wouldn't come home."

The story opens with Patrick alone and heartbroken.  He misses Sam and his daughter Natalie.  Sam has recently left Patrick and returned to Maine with Natalie.  Patrick is not Natalie's biological father but he has raised her and considers her his child.  After a call from Natalie, he goes to Maine to see Natalie and try to make things work with Sam.

"Then explain to me what happened, Sam.  Because if you're going 
to destroy everything we built together, I deserve to know why."

Sam is having a really hard time after coming back from the war.  Instead of asking for help, she attempts to deal with her issues alone and it is simply not working.  Both Patrick and Samantha have served in the war and taken turns being deployed, so much so that they have not spent a whole lot of time together in recent years.

"It's a hard thing to admit that you're not okay."

I could definitely tell that this author knows exactly what she is talking about regarding the issues those who serve in the military face when they return from deployment.  I appreciated the fact that in this story it was the woman who is having issues after being at war and the man is trying to help her heal.   I would definitely recommend this short novella to anyone who likes romances.  This is the first story by Jessica Scott but I do plan to read her work in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not the biggest fan of (love) contemporary novels and I always have a hard time reading about militaries even though the psychological aspect of it tends to be great. I also like the idea that this is not a new love story but that it was focus on characters that were already in a long term relationship. It makes the book a lot more appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do like to read a little bit of everything. I try to mix up the types of books I read so that everything stays interesting for me. If I read too many of one type of book in a row, I start getting tired of the genre. I really did like the fact that this story focused on repairing a relationship which is a bit different than the norm. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...