Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Wolf in Winter by John Connolly



The Wolf in Winter by John Connolly
Series:  Charlie Parker #12
Atria Books
Publication Date:  October 28, 2014
Date Read:  October 13, 2014

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Atria Books via Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.


3 Stars

It is really my fault.  I take full responsibility on this one.   I saw this book on Net Galley and thought it would be a great read.  It probably was.....to fans of the series.  That's right - I thought I could jump into a series on book number 12 and not have any problems.  Boy was I ever wrong.  


This was one of those books that I liked at times and just wanted to finish at other times.  I liked the parts of the book that focused solely on the main storyline in this book.  I was bored by all of the parts that were not directly tied to that storyline.  I am guessing that the pieces of this book that I did not like were part of a story arc that spans several books in the series.  I am sure that fans of this series loved those parts but I really just wanted to get back to the mystery.  

The death of a homeless man and the disappearance of his daughter brings the town of Prosperous to the attention of Charlie Parker.  As Charlie looks into Prosperous, he finds that there may be more going on in that town than just good fortune.  As the town protects its secrets, Charlie works to find out what is really going on in the town of Prosperous.

I had such high hopes for this book.  I love anything supernatural and I love a good mystery.  The Charlie Parker series is described and a blending of the two and I do think that it that blending is well executed.  I was a bit surprised to find after reading the book that Charlie Parker was in less than 25% of the story by my rough estimates.  Most of what we learn regarding the mystery of Prosperous is comes from parts of the book told from various residents of that town.  



The mystery in Prosperous was great.  It was exciting and interesting.  It was well told and I found myself totally engrossed in the story.  Unfortunately, that was usually when the story would switch to something not connected to the Prosperous mystery and I would grow bored.  I really think that this book is really best for readers of the series.  

I am actually curious how I would feel about this series if I actually read it from the beginning.  I did like John Connolly's style of writing so I would like to read more of his work....but no more jumping around in the series for me. 

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling of being super bored at times. That's kinda what's happening with my book at the moment. Just ughh. Great review, but I don't think I'll be reading this book. New follower to this fabulous rainbow blog!! xx

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I loved this book at times and really just wanted it to be over at others. Oh well....what are you reading M?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...