Sunday, August 24, 2014

Exchange of Fire by P. A. DePaul


Exchange of Fire by P. A. DePaul
Penguin Group
Series:  SBG #1
Publication Date:  August 19, 2014
Date Read:  August 24, 2014

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Group via Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

4 Stars!

I am really surprised by how much I enjoyed reading this book!  To be honest, I am not sure why I grabbed it off of Net Galley.  I think I was actually on vacation when I did and let's just say I am sometimes a bit impulsive when I am near a beach and leave it at that.  Anyway when I returned home from my vacation, my clicky finger had lined up several new books for me to read and review which is a much better problem to have than when the same finger tried to grab a jellyfish out of the ocean (I told you I can be impulsive near beaches!).


Everything worked out because I really liked this book!  It had just the right blend of mystery, likeable characters, and chemistry between the main characters to really draw me into the story.  This book is the beginning of a new series and I think that the author did a fantastic job of laying the groundwork for future books.  I really liked the supporting characters in this book and can't wait to read their story.

Sandra has a bad experience while working with her mercenary team.  In order to step away from SBG, she becomes a shade when she fakes her own death.  She starts a new life working at an amusement center that is owned by Casper Grady, a former marine.  Soon, others become aware that Sandra may still be among the living and she tries to leave but Grady is determined to help her.  

The pair are soon joined by Sandra's former team and the knowledge of her past may be too much for Grady.  Sandra, Grady, and the rest of her team must eventually work together to keep the little town in the mountains safe.  The supporting characters were phenomenal.  Cappy, Talon, Romeo, and Magician stole the show during parts of the book.

The chemistry between Sandra and Grady was wonderful.  My main problem is that they spent a large chunk of the book apart from each other.  I really did not like the Sandra we saw while they were apart very much....she just sat there and cried constantly it seemed.  I liked the Grady we saw with Sandra better than the one lying on his couch thinking about her.  The fact that Grady was so determined to help Sandra but once he heard her story he storms off seemed a bit contradictory.

I felt that this book was well written despite a few issues and I look forward to reading future works in this series.  This is the first book by P. A. DePaul that I have had a chance to read but I don't think it will be my last.  I would recommend this book to fans of romantic suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...