Sunday, June 1, 2014

Never Say Goodbye by Susan Lewis



Never Say Goodbye by Susan Lewis
Random House Publishing Group
Publication Date:  April 8, 2014
Date Read:  June 1, 2014

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Random House Publishing Group and Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

4 Stars

This was a good book that took me forever to read.  I spent almost two months reading this book.  When I requested this book from Net Galley, I had absolutely no idea that it was about somebody battling breast cancer.  I am not sure that I would have made that request at this point in my life if I known that little piece of information.

My mother is currently battling breast cancer for the third time.  Her first battle was over 17 years ago when she had her first mastectomy.  We thought she had beat it but 9 years later it showed up again, so she went through more chemo.  Once again, the family thought that she had beat it.  Unfortunately, we were not so lucky and she was diagnosed with a different form of breast cancer in the fall of 2013.  My life since her diagnosis has consisted of going to every surgery, every doctor appointment, and every chemo treatment.  I had my first week in 2014 that I did not need to take her to a doctor appointment just a couple of weeks ago.

I am sharing this short glimpse into my life because I think it has a big impact on how I look at a book like this one.  Since I have spent a lot of time reading in the oncologist's office this year, I often found myself setting this book aside to read something else.   I read to escape.  At this point in my life, I want to read about things other than cancer.  I think I chose the wrong time to read this book.

This book was well written and I grew to like all of the characters.  I must admit that I wanted to reach into the book and shake some sense into Josie quite a few times during the book.  I understand that she was in serious denial but some of her actions drove me crazy.  I really liked Bel's character and found her friendship with Josie to be authentic. 

This is not an uplifting book.  It deals with cancer and how it impacts the lives of everyone close to the patient.  While Bel is not a cancer patient, she has quite a few difficult issues that she is dealing with during this story.  Josie helps Bel out just as much as Bel helps Josie which is how friendship should work.  All of the characters grow over the course of the story and discover what is really important.

I would recommend this book to others with the warning that it deals with cancer.  This was the first book by Susan Lewis that I have had the opportunity to read.  I look forward to reading other works by this author in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...