Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu






The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu
Macmillan Children's Publishing Group
Publication Date:  June 3, 2014
Date Read:  March 4, 2014



I received an advance reader edition of this book from Macmillan Children's Publishing Group and Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

4.5 Stars!

I ended up reading this entire book in the course of one day.  It is a short book but it really tells a powerful story.  I found myself really feeling for Alice and wanted everyone to know the real truth about Alice.  Even though I am much older than the probably target audience of older teens, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

This book is told from multiple points of view.  This worked well for me by actually adding layers to the story that I do not think would have been present with a single narrator.   The reader learns Alice’s story from the popular girl, Elaine, Alice’s best friend, Kelsie, Brandon’s best friend, Josh, and the school nerd, Kurt.  Alice’s point of view only appears at the very end of the book and I actually found her voice to the least powerful.  Each of the narrators had a part in Alice’s fall from popularity.

Alice is a popular girl in a small town until the rumors start.  The rumor spread that she had sex with two boys in one night at a party.  Before Alice can recover from that rumor, one of those boys dies in a car accident which is also blamed on Alice.  Soon, nobody want to be around or talk to Alice except for Kurt, the school nerd.

The characters were well developed although a bit stereotypical.  The book illustrated quite well how a single lie can grow out of control.  One lie stacked with other lies can result in devastation for the target.

I would recommend this book.  This book does deal with some difficult subjects so it would probably be best for older teens and beyond.  Younger audiences may not be ready for some of the issues in this book.  I think that the author, Jennifer Mathieu, did a fantastic job with this novel.  I do plan to read future works by this debut author.

2 comments:

  1. So MANY rave reviews for this one. It does seem really good, indeed. I think I'll give it a sho, yeah! Great review, Carole!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I really enjoyed this book. Let me know what you think about it once you get a chance to read it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...