Monday, March 10, 2014

The Weight of Blood by Laura McHugh






The Weight of Blood by Laura McHugh
Random House Publishing Group
Publication Date:  March 11, 2014
Date Read:  March 8, 2014

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Random House Publishing Group and Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Solid 4 Star Book!

When I saw the description of this book, I was more than intrigued.  Since I live in Missouri, a book focused on two mysteries a generation apart set in the Ozarks sounded pretty entertaining.   While I do not live in the Ozarks, I do live close enough that the location sparked a bit of interest as well as the plot.  As it turns out the tiny town of Henbane that the book is set in is somewhere that I have never been and most likely will never go but interesting anyway.  

As I actually started reading the book, I was pulled in right away.  The two mysteries are told from different points of view and are connected not only by the small town of Henbane, but the characters, and events surrounding each mystery.  Lucy has grown up without her mother, Lila, who went missing when she was very young.  Lucy's friend Cheri also goes missing for about a year before her body is found.  Lucy starts trying to find out what happened to her friend and she is the primary voice for events happening in the present.  We also spend time with Lila, Lucy's mother, a generation earlier where we learn about the events that lead to her disappearance and possibly Cheri's murder.

The author does use other points of view in the book but Lucy and Lila are the primary story tellers.  Many of the characters are integral parts of both plots.  Everything ties together by the end of the book with everything being interconnected.  

This was one of those books that starts strong, pulls you in and really does not let go.  I found myself having a very difficult time putting this book down and could not wait to get back to it as soon as I could.  The subject matter was difficult and I think the author realistically represented many people's inclination small town or otherwise to look the other way and not get involved.  

I would definitely recommend this book!  It is really hard to believe that this book was written by a debut author since it was so well written.  I predict many wonderful works will be written by Laura McHugh in the future and I plan to try to read as many of them as I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...