Monday, March 24, 2014

Tempting Fate by Jane Green






Tempting Fate by Jane Green
St. Martin's Press
Publication Date:  March 25, 2014
Date Read:  March 18, 2014

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martin's Press and Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

3.5 Stars

I had a really hard time deciding on a rating for this book.  The book was well written but I did not really care for the story that was being told.  In fact, I found that I was very uncomfortable while reading this book, especially the first half.  I wanted to reach into the book and just slap the main character, Gabby, repeatedly.  The fact that the writing could bring out strong feelings is good but the feelings that were brought out were not so good.  

The story focuses on 43 year old Gabby.  Gabby and Elliott have been married for quite some time.  They have 2 daughters together and their marriage appears to be solid.    Gabby goes out on the town with some of her friends while the rest of her family are on a camping trip.  She ends up spending most of the evening talking to a younger man, Matt.  Afterwords, Gabby and Matt stay in touch through email and decide to meet again.   As you may suspect, things eventually do get out of hand and lines are crossed.

Throughout the first half of the book, I wanted to slap Gabby.  Why would she jeopardize everything good in her life for this younger man?  The second half of the book focuses on the aftermath or her choices.  I actually liked this section of the book much better.  I guess I found it more appealing to watch the characters try to make things right than watching them destroy theirs lives with bad choices.  I did think that the conclusion of the book was quite optimistic and unrealistic. 

I do love Jane Green's writing and felt that the writing was solid in this book.  I just found the story to be uncomfortable and depressing.  I do plan to continue reading works by this author.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...