Monday, February 17, 2014

The Temptation of Laura by Rachel Brimble






The Temptation of Laura by Rachel Brimble
Kensington Books
Publication Date:  February 20, 2014
Date Read:  February 14, 2014

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Kensington Books and Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

I give this book a solid 4 stars.  This is one of those books that will work for some readers but not for others.  I liked this book and found that it did work for me but many romance readers will not feel the same.  This is not a hearts and flowers feel good romance.  This romance is rather dark in my mind with characters who have had a tough life.

Laura is a whore and has been one since she was 15 years old.  She lives with her friend, Bette, and the pair have taken care of each other.  Bette is sick and Laura is doing her best to provide for the both of them.  She has always been drawn to the theater and decides to see if she can find work there.  She is able to find an honest job selling treats at the theater where she meets Adam.  Adam is an actor and aspiring playwright who knows that the key to the play that he has written is Laura.  Adam pursues Laura and convinces her to be in his play.  The pair become close and eventually Laura and Bette both move into Adam's home for protection from the neighborhood pimp.   Adam knows about Laura's past but is able to look beyond that and they both start having feeling for each other.

This book is darker than most historical romances, at least those that I have encountered.  Laura has been a prostitute in order to take care of herself and has a hard time believing that anyone will ever see her as anything but a whore.  Adam has been at the mercy of wealthy widows in order to find work.  They both have a hard time learning to be together without falling back on past behaviors.  This is not simply the story of two people falling in love.  It is really the story of two people who are hurting learning to love each other while learning to change their life.   It was a bit different and I liked that about the book.

I found the characters to be somewhat believable.  Not all of their actions were believable but for the most part it felt authentic.  I thought the writing was well done.  I really like that the author chose to let the characters mess up since it was really unexpected for me.  I would recommend this book to any romance reader willing to try something a little darker.  I plan to check out other works by this author.

2 comments:

  1. Carole, thank you SO much for such a great review! I loved writing Laura's story and you're right, my stories definitely have a darker element. Try as I might, I can't resist a villain!

    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by my blog! I really enjoyed this book and plan to read some of your other works soon.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...