Sunday, January 12, 2014

We Wait



When I started this blog, I thought I would chronicle what it is like to watch someone you love battle cancer.  In my family's case, we have had to watch our mother do this 2 times already.  Sometimes I want to stomp my feet and scream that it is not fair....but life is not fair, I know that.

One thing that you should know if you are planning to be there for someone going through cancer is that you will be waiting...a lot.   This was my view on Wednesday last week for the entire morning while my mother was having her port put in so that we can get started with chemotherapy. 

We had a different view (but nothing any more exciting) on December 12 when she had her second mastectomy exactly 18 years to the day after her first.  Since her diagnosis in late November, I can not tell you how many hours we have spent sitting and waiting.  On December 29, we sat in the oncologist's office for over 3 hours just because he is that far behind that day....and there are so many people fighting cancer. 

We are also waiting for results from Mom's genetic test to see if she has the breast cancer gene.  Considering that this is the third time she has had breast cancer, I think that there is the definite possibility that there will be a positive result on that test.  Not only has Mom had breast cancer 3 times, she has a completely different type of breast cancer this time.  This is not a re-occurrence....this is a brand new cancer!

This week I take Mom to her first round of treatments.  Monday is the first IV antibody infusion which she will do weekly while she is undergoing chemotherapy and every 3 to 4 weeks for the rest of the year after that.  Tuesday is the first round of chemotherapy.  She will have to endure chemo 4 times according to the doctor.  That may not sound like a lot but trust me....it is.

So now we wait. I wait to see how sick my mother is going to get this time.  I wait to see how quickly her hair falls out.  I wait to see if this might be the last time she has to fight this battle.

2 comments:

  1. Carole,

    I came across this while I was visiting here about books, and couldn't leave without offering you and your mother and your family all the heartfelt good wishes I can. There is nothing much to say except how much this sucks. You are all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalie. Your kind words really mean a lot to me.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...