Saturday, January 25, 2014

And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard






And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard
Random House Children's Delacorte Press
Publication Date:  January 28, 2014
Date Read:  January 23, 2014

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Random House and Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

I would rate this book a solid 4 out of 5 stars.  This book was a little different that what I expected.   I love picking up a book and seeing a story told in a completely different manner than I had thought it would.  Jenny Hubbard is able to tell the story of moving on after tragedy poetically. 

Emily's boyfriend, Paul, has just killed himself with a gun in the school library in front Emily.   Her family insists upon Emily changing schools after this event so she finds herself at an all girls boarding school where Emily Dickinson once attended.  Emily tells much of what has happened leading up to this point through her poetry.  

This is a story about moving on and Emily starts to do that by the end of the book.  This book is told in third person with Emily feeling a bit distant at times.  Before I started the book, I worried that it was going to be another overly dramatic teen novel.  I was wrong.  Emily is anything but overly dramatic.  She keeps her pain to herself and tries to fit into her new school.   She is not trying to make lots of friends she just wants to keep from standing out in the crowd.  She is quiet and withdrawn and only lets some of her pain out through her poems.  I am not a big fan of poetry but the poetry in this book helps to tell the story and it was very well done.

I thought the characters in this book rang very true.  Most people find themselves going through the motions after a life changing event as we see Emily doing.  One thing that I did note in the book was that it was set in the mid 90s.  I am not sure what the rationale for this was.  The only thing major change in teens today and then is technology.   Who knows maybe the author just did not want to deal with everybody at her new school knowing who Emily was because of a you tube video.

I found this book to be very well written and I would definitely recommend it to others.  This book deals with some very tough issues and it is handled well.  I will definitely look for more from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...